A blog for Educators, Parents and Friends!!!

Come one, come all and welcome!!!


Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King Jr. Day! Egg experiment!

I found a fabulous idea to help children understand that color is only skin deep. As today is January 16th I decided to try it out in honor of Martin Luther King Jr's birthday! I got this idea from http://www.teachingheart.net/happymlkbooks.html 
and adapted it a bit for my own purposes! 

First, I show the children two eggs. One brown and the other white. 


I then ask them what they can tell me about the eggs. The children discovered many similarities and the only difference being that of the color of each egg shell. I then made a venn diagram where I put their words into print. I then cracked both eggs open without the children seeing. I had them guess what I was doing by the sound of the egg cracking. I then asked the children to tell me which came from the brown egg and which from the white. Clearly the children could not answer this question as both looked exactly the same. 



We then finished up this activity by relating it to Martin Luther King Jr and his dream that all people regardless of their skin color should be treated fairly and equally because on the inside we are the same and we are all human. <3



No comments:

Post a Comment